Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Square One

After watching the documentary Forks Over Knives I realized that the answer to my high cholesterol wasn't another pill.  It was spinach.  I come from a family of heart diseased people with road maps all over their chests from bypass surgery and who take meds for the problem.  I didn't want to make that trip if I could help it.  Knives aren't all that fun to play with (except in the kitchen of course) and tend to feel a little uncomfortable when applied to the chest area.  All pills have side effects.  Let me repeat that:  ALL PILLS HAVE SIDE EFFECTS  and so I didn't want to have a good heart, but poor eyes, as one example.
Consider this:  Your doctor spends very little time on your case unless you are in crisis.  He sees a lot of patients in a day - around 30 and you get about 15 minutes of that day.  He doesn't go back to his office and sit down for a think about how to manage your health.  That's your job.  Do your homework.  Release your inner Batman.
There's lots of resources out there and I'm here to provide you with a few.  Start with the documentary. You can stream it directly from Netflix and it is also available at the library.  Go ahead I'll wait.  And don't worry, it's not going to show you graphic images of animals being mistreated.  I promise.  This one's about health.  Your health.  And you will be all in-the-know after you watch it.  No joke.

Be Batman.  Today.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post.

    Thanks for the inspiration: I've seen most of the other food documentaries -- Food, Inc., etc. I noticed Forks Over Knives on Netflicks just last week and made a note to watch it. Now I know I definitely want to watch it.

    ReplyDelete